Are you a fan of murder mysteries, comedy, and genre-bending storytelling? If so, you might want to check out The Afterparty, a new Apple TV+ series that follows a group of high school friends who reunite for a party and end up as suspects in a celebrity’s death. The show is created by Chris Miller and Phil Lord, the duo behind The Lego Movie, 21 Jump Street, and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, so you know you’re in for a wild ride.
The Afterparty Season 1 consists of eight episodes, each one told from a different character’s perspective and in a different film genre. From rom-coms to action thrillers, from musicals to horror flicks, the show explores how each character remembers the events of the night differently, and how their stories reveal clues about the murder mystery. Along the way, you’ll also get to know the characters better, their relationships, their secrets, and their motivations.
If you haven’t watched The Afterparty Season 1 yet, or if you need a refresher before Season 2 comes out on July 12, 2023, here’s a recap of everything that happened in the first season. Beware of spoilers ahead!
#1. Who is Xavier and why was he killed?
Xavier (Dave Franco) is a famous pop star who was once part of a band called Hungry Hungry Hippos with his high school friends Yasper (Ben Schwartz) and Chelsea (Ilana Glazer). He became a solo sensation after ditching them and signing a lucrative deal with a record label. He is also the host of the afterparty at his beach house, where he invites his former classmates from Hillmount High’s class of 2006.
Xavier is killed when he falls off his balcony and lands on the rocks below. His body is surrounded by cooked shrimp, a blonde wig, and a jaunty hat. Detective Danner (Tiffany Haddish) arrives at the scene and determines that it was not an accident, but a murder. She decides to interrogate the remaining guests at the party, who are all potential suspects.
#2. Who are the suspects and what are their stories?
The suspects are:
- Aniq (Sam Richardson): A nerdy and nice guy who works as an IT consultant. He has a crush on Zoë (Zoë Chao), his former chemistry partner and longtime crush. He tells his story as a rom-com, where he tries to win Zoë’s heart and compete with Xavier for her attention.
- Brett (Ike Barinholtz): Zoë’s ex-husband and father of their daughter Maggie (Everly Carganilla). He is a former football star who now works as a security guard. He tells his story as an action thriller, where he tries to protect Zoë from Xavier’s advances and fights off his goons.
- Yasper (Ben Schwartz): A failed musician who still dreams of making it big. He was Xavier’s bandmate and friend, but feels betrayed by him. He tells his story as a musical, where he tries to get Xavier to listen to his new track and reconcile with him.
- Chelsea (Ilana Glazer): A self-critical and insecure woman who works as a social media influencer. She was also Xavier’s bandmate and friend, but feels abandoned by him. She tells her story as a horror movie, where she is haunted by her past and tormented by Xavier’s ghost.
- Walt (Jamie Demetriou): A forgettable and awkward guy who works as an accountant. He has no friends and no alibi. He tells his story as an animated comedy, where he is a superhero who tries to save the world from an alien invasion.
- Indigo (Genevieve Angelson): A pretentious and eccentric actress who claims to have starred in several indie films. She has a crush on Xavier and wants to impress him. She tells her story as an avant-garde film, where she is a muse who inspires Xavier’s art.
- Jenn No. 1 (Tiya Sircar) and Ned (Kelvin Yu): A smug and successful couple who work as lawyers. They are married and have two kids. They tell their story as a documentary, where they showcase their perfect life and expose their classmates’ flaws.
#3. Who is the killer and what is the motive?
The killer is revealed to be Chelsea, who pushed Xavier off the balcony in a fit of rage after he rejected her song and mocked her career. She was wearing the blonde wig and the jaunty hat as part of her disguise, which she later threw off the balcony along with the shrimp platter.
Her motive was revenge for Xavier’s betrayal and abandonment of her and Yasper. She blamed him for ruining her life and her dreams of becoming a star. She also felt guilty for sleeping with him behind Yasper’s back, which caused a rift between them.
She confesses to Danner after she realizes that she left her phone on the balcony, which recorded the whole incident. She also admits that she lied about seeing Xavier’s ghost, which was actually a hologram that she hacked into using Aniq’s laptop.
#4. What happens to the other characters?
The other characters have various outcomes after the night of the murder. Some of them are:
- Aniq and Zoë: They finally get together and start a relationship. They also decide to move in together and raise Maggie as a family.
- Brett: He accepts Zoë’s decision and moves on with his life. He also gets a promotion at his job and becomes more confident and happy.
- Yasper: He forgives Chelsea for her actions and decides to remain friends with her. He also gets a record deal with Xavier’s label, who likes his track and wants to honor Xavier’s legacy.
- Walt: He becomes more popular and respected by his classmates, who finally remember him and appreciate him. He also gets a girlfriend and a new job as a comic book writer.
- Indigo: She gets exposed as a fraud and a liar, who never starred in any films and only pretended to be an actress. She also gets arrested for stealing Xavier’s paintings and trying to sell them.
- Jenn No. 1 and Ned: They get divorced after they realize that they are unhappy and incompatible. They also lose their jobs and their reputation after they are sued by their clients for malpractice.
#5. What can we expect from Season 2?
Source: Apple TV+
Season 2 of The Afterparty will feature a new murder mystery, a new setting, and a new cast of characters. However, some of the characters from Season 1 will return, such as Danner, Culp, Aniq, Zoë, Brett, Maggie, Yasper, Walt, Indigo, Jenn No. 1, and Ned. They will be involved in the new case in different ways, either as witnesses, suspects, or victims.
The new setting will be a ski resort in Colorado, where a group of college friends reunite for a weekend getaway. The new cast of characters will include:
- Kira (Awkwafina): A successful podcaster who hosts a true crime show called The Afterparty. She is the leader of the group and the organizer of the reunion.
- Travis (Samara Weaving): A famous actress who is Kira’s best friend and former roommate. She is the star of a hit TV show called The Afterparty.
- Max (John Cena): A former football player who is Travis’ husband and Kira’s ex-boyfriend. He is the owner of the ski resort and the host of the party.
- Lila (Regina Hall): A wealthy socialite who is Max’s sister and Kira’s frenemy. She is married to a mysterious billionaire who is never seen.
- Nick (Pedro Pascal): A charming novelist who is Lila’s lover and Kira’s crush. He is the author of a bestselling book called The Afterparty.
- Gabe (Jason Mantzoukas): A conspiracy theorist who is Nick’s friend and Kira’s nemesis. He is obsessed with finding out the truth behind The Afterparty.
- Sasha (Leslie Jones): A fun-loving comedian who is Kira’s cousin and Gabe’s partner. She is the host of a late-night talk show called The Afterparty.
The new murder mystery will involve the death of one of the characters during the party, which will trigger another investigation by Danner and Culp. The show will follow the same format as Season 1, with each episode focusing on a different character’s perspective and genre.
Season 2 of The Afterparty promises to be another thrilling, hilarious, and surprising ride that will keep you guessing until the end. Don’t miss it when it premieres on July 12, 2023 on Apple TV+!
If you are looking for a fun and relaxing way to spend your time, you should check out meme funny today. You will find a variety of topics and categories to suit your mood and interests. Visit meme funny now and join the community of fun lovers!